Stepping Stones Rehab. Services
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
|Posted on July 1, 2016 at 10:50 AM|
Shoulder Pain In thrower athletes i.e pitchers , catchers has been a common problem.If symptoms are misdiagnosed or left unchecked can result in more severe pathology and disability potentially ending the career or loss of occupation.
Most of these symptoms originate from minor trauma or cumulative stresses especially in younger athletes eventually leading to proximal instability at scapular region. Sometimes more serious injuries like SLAP tear are the underlying causes.
Through evaluation by a therapist or doctor is required in order to establish proper diagnoses. Frequently symptoms are present away from the actual site of pathology leading to improper diagnoses. For example patient might c/o pain at the anterior aspect of shoulder , Lateral arm pain etc.
Some of the symptoms which may require immediate attention :
1. Feeling of severe fatigue in arm sometimes explained by patients as " Dead Arm".
2. Affected arm is significantly lower than the non affected arm.
3. Pain in scapular region especially raised medial and lower part of scapula.
4. Clicking sensation at shoulder sometimes palpable hyper-mobility of joint causing stress on surrounding structures.
Precautions to be followed in order to prevent these injuries:
1. Following proper bio-mechanics while throwing
2. Do not attempt to throw if in pain or fatigued as it might lead to undue stress or start to cause wear and tear at shoulder muscles and surrounding structures.
Please follow up with Rehab. professional ASAP who can identify the true nature/ cause of pathology because if remains unchecked patient might have to undergo surgery.
Proper interventions might include scapula specific stability exs, taping to support / rest hyper-mobile structures, rest, closely monitored strengthening program.